Big Step #2: The Demo - NOT a Two-Day Project!

We scheduled in a 20 yard dumpster on Wednesday, September 2nd. Initially we thought we would only need a 10 cubic yard dumpster. So I called around several places and asked three questions. 1) Do they service my zip code area 2) Do they have a 10 cubic yard dumpster available and 3) what are the associated costs and fees? I think I called for quotes from eight different companies, four of which couldn't pass question #1 and the cheapest out of all was for a 20 yard dumpster. The cost came in at $275 to rent the box for 7 days and $27 per ton disposal fee. Well, it was a great price and who knows, we may need more dumpster space anyway....

Well we sure got lucky with the larger size being the least expensive because sure enough, we did need the bigger size. In fact, I could've gone a size up! Now we will need to call the dumpster company and have them come pick up this dumpster and bring out another - so this is going to be cost close to $600 just to get the old materials disposed of! In hindsight, it would've been cheaper to err on the side of caution and just get a size up! Lesson learned...

Also, I was told this would probably only be a two-day project. Uh...no. We are going on 5 days now and this is the current situation: 

I want to see it from a glass-half-full perspective and see the demo job as half-way done, but between both of us working full time now and having a house full of five kids causing mayhem, I think this could be a two week job. You know what, that's okay because that puts me two weeks closer to seeing this dream of ours fulfilled. :) 

Comments